Kabocha squash is an Asian variety of winter squash with a flavor that’s a cross between butternut squash and sweet potato. This squash is rich in beta carotene, iron, potassium, calcium and even vitamin C. It keeps well, so enjoy it all fall and winter in one of our favorite kabocha squash recipes!
1. Roasted Kabocha Squash – This is probably the simplest way to prepare a kabocha squash, which you will find doesn’t require much seasoning to taste absolutely delicious. Serve it as a side dish or with a hardy winter salad.
2. Soy Braised Kabocha Squash – Another simple and quick way to prepare kabocha squash, this recipe adds a little bit of an Asian flavor twist that makes it a prefect complement to stir fried vegetables or a Thai spiced fish or chicken dish.
3. Chicken and Rice with Kabocha Squash – This is a wonderful family dinner dish as its wholesome, flavorful and palatable for any age group. Substitute the chicken with seitan and the chicken broth with veggie broth for a vegetarian version.
4. Kabocha Squash Lentil Curry – Creamy and delectable, this recipe is made using pureed kabocha squash, which you can do by steaming or baking the squash and blending it in a food processor. Make a large enough batch that you can take some with to work for lunch or freeze it for later.
5. Kabocha Squash Gnocchi – Looking to get a little more creative with your kabocha squash? This recipe for veggie gnocchi is fairly simple but time consuming. Serve it with your favorite pomodoro sauce or your own fake cheese sauce if you’re desiring a vegan version.
6. Kabocha Squash, Fennel and Ginger Soup with Spicy Coconut Cream – Can you say YUM? This vegan and gluten-free soup recipe is just the ticket to warming you up on a cold winter day. Serve it with some homemade bread for a healthy comfort food meal, and roast the seeds of the squash for a crunchy and delicious soup garnish.
7. Galette with Kabocha Squash and Kale – This is a beautiful dish that will awe guests at a dinner party or potluck with its presentation and its flavor. Squash and kale complement each other gorgeously, while the galette crust adds a satisfying wholesome texture.
8. Kabocha Squash Risotto – Risotto is always a great autumn comfort food that can be made as a vegan and gluten-free dish. Adding kabocha squash to the mix provides a wonderfully creamy texture and adds the perfect amount of sweetness to put a happy belly smile on your face.
9. Kabocha Squash Waffles – This unique and fun recipe will turn your breakfast into a vitamin packed meal. Add some nutmeg and cloves to the mix and top with apple sauce or pear compote for seasonally inspired flavors.
10. Kabocha Squash Custards – Last but not least, these gluten-free kabocha squash desserts are exquisite, healthy and a wonderful way to impress your dinner guests. Use coconut cream and apple sauce in place of the eggs for a equally delicious, vegan version.
Related on Organic Authority