It’s going to be a tasty week at our house. Try our 12 summer recipe ideas for this week’s CSA box.
This week’s CSA box or farm share is loaded with amazing vegetables. We received kale, turnips with greens, summer squash, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage and garlic. Plus we’re enjoying slicing tomatoes and cherry tomatoes–all perfect ingredients for yummy summer recipe ideas.
1. Turnip Soup: Savor our turnip soup with pomegranate and walnuts. It’s creamy and delicious yet delightfully different from your standard cream of vegetable soup.
2. Roasted Turnips: Bring out the turnip’s natural sugars through roasting. A full turnip-inspired entree can be yours with our vanilla cured pork loin with roasted turnips in maple vanilla sauce.
3. Curried Turnips: Turnips are a classic of certain Indian recipes like curried turnips. The slow simmer infuses the turnips with a the creamy, spicy sauce. Serve it with rice.
4. Garlicky Turnip Greens: Our recipe for easy, garlicky beet greens would be just as tasty with bitter turnip greens. Use turnips with the greens still attached, and you’ll get two meals for the price of one! These greens are even better when topped with a plain fried or poached egg. And it gives the dish a protein and flavor boost.
5. Turnip Bake: Baeckeoffe is Alsatian for “baker’s oven.” The dish was traditionally made at home and brought to the village baker. It was then cooked in the baker’s hot bread oven. Traditional versions include meat. This recipe, however, with spinach, potato and turnip, is perfect for meatless meals.
8. Cabbage and Potatoes: Or how about a rich side of roasted cabbage and smashed potatoes?
9. German Hot Slaw: Grab some bacon and whip up a batch of my granny’s favorite German hot slaw. Toss in some of that fresh garlic for a jazzed up version.
10. Tomato Gazpacho: A tasty cold soup, tomato gazpacho, could be just perfect on a hot summer day.
11. Tomato Sauce: Whip up a homemade tomato sauce with those tomatoes. Or simply enjoy them sliced or in salads.
12. Lettuce Wraps: Use that lettuce on something other than sandwiches, like our Lettuce Wraps Done Right.
Related on Organic Authority