One of the first things anyone says when I explain the Paleo style of eating is, “Oh my God how do you live without bread?” Well, initially it was weird to ignore the cravings that made me reach for the dinner rolls or slap together a sandwich when I needed a quick lunch. But once you eat mostly Paleo for a while, you palate changes and those urges subside. You learn to eat other things.
That’s not to say I’m never tempted by those big slices of banana bread at Starbucks, or the idea of slathering butter all over a thick piece of sourdough baguette. But that’s why Paleo bread recipes exist!
I know what you’re thinking. “How the heck can you make bread without grain and dairy?! Isn’t that the essence of bread?” It’s what bread has become, yes, but it’s not the only way to make it. Paleo bread uses other ingredients, like eggs, nuts, vinegar and natural sweeteners to achieve a delightful baked good. Word of caution: Paleo bread will never calm your cravings for Wonder Bread, but I promise that they will serve as a worthy substitute, giving you all the delight of baked goods with none of the grain, dairy or guilt.
(Another word of caution: Paleo bread is preservative-free so you’ll need to store it in the fridge and eat it fairly quickly. If you need it to keep for longer, cut it into individual slices, wrap and freeze. When you want a piece, just unwrap and toast in the oven for a minute).
8 Scrumptious Paleo Bread Recipes For Breakfast and Beyond
1. World Famous Grain-Free Sandwich Bread – According to Danielle Walker, author of the Against All Grain blog and cookbook of the same name, this Paleo bread remains her highest trafficked recipe of all time. It’s crusty and light, perfect for paninis, French toast, and of course, sandwiches.
2. Paleo Coffee Cake – OK, it’s not technically a bread, but it’s a breakfast staple that many Paleo eaters thought they’d never taste again. Wrong! This recipe uses coconut flour instead of bleached wheat and just a touch of honey for sweetness. Note: this recipe calls for whole yogurt, but if you’re intolerant of all dairy, an almond or coconut milk yogurt may work.
3. Chai Pumpkin Bread – This Paleo bread recipe (pictured at top) was a favorite in our house during the fall. The best part is you don’t have to stress over a ton of exotic spices–just bust open a few chai tea bags and you’re good to go. Thanks to the almond butter, pumpkin, banana, and eggs, this bread is very moist, so be sure to refrigerate.
4. Lemon Bread with Lemon Glaze – On the weekend, there’s nothing better than a cup of coffee and a slice of lemon bread. This recipe from Primally Inspired eliminates the grain, dairy and unecessary sugar, while still delivering a delightful Paleo bread. And did I mention there’s a GLAZE?
5. Nut-Free Yeast-Based Paleo Bread – The previous sandwich bread is great, but it’s still out of bounds for families with nut allergies. That same dilemma is what prompted The Paleo Mom to create this alternative, using a variety of gluten-free flours.
6. Banana Bread – The classic. The perfect way to salvage those overly brown bananas you forgot about. This Paleo bread recipe pays homage to the original, while eliminating grains and adding in cacao nibs.
7. Easy Paleo Pan Bread – This bread won’t come out looking like a perfectly svelte sandwich loaf, but who really cares? It’s EASY. It also has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor that’s quite lovely.
8. Dark “Rye” Bread – Perfect for those days when you crave a heaping sammie from the deli, this Paleo bread uses flaxmeal and caraway seeds to re-create the savory scent of a rye.
Related on Organic Authority