Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish soup that’s made with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and spices. We’ve featured several recipes in the past, including Chunky Gazpacho and Chilled Organic Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho.
This colorful Gazpacho Salad is a creative variation on the theme. Serve it with some good crusty bread to soak up its delicious juices.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Makes 4 generous servings
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Shiraz (a red wine)
- 1/4 cup top-quality balsamic or olive-oil vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Very finely chop 1/3 of the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber and red onion with all of the garlic. Place in a medium bowl, and stir in Shiraz and vinaigrette.
- Dice remaining tomatoes, pepper and cucumber, and cut onion into slivers; add to bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour for flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Foster’s Wine Estates