Thanksgiving without stuffing? For me, the turkey takes a backseat to the side dishes.
Today’s recipe transforms ordinary stuffing mix into a gourmet treat, courtesy of two secret ingredients: fresh spinach and sliced water chestnuts.
All of the ingredients should be readily available at your local natural and organic food store.
Holiday Vegetable Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (14 ounces) Swanson Organic Vegetable Broth (1¾ cups)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 4 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- Heat butter in saucepot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion. Cook until tender.
- Add broth, chestnuts and spinach. Heat to a boil.
- Stir in stuffing. Mix lightly.
Recipe courtesy of Swanson Organic Broth