The weather outside has occasionally been frightful—and the skies are far from delightful in some areas of the country. It’s the perfect time to curl up by the fireplace and enjoy a mug of steaming hot chocolate.
Sure, you can buy a presweetened organic cocoa mix. (Check out mixes from Ah!Laska, Green & Black’s and Whole Foods Market.) But there’s nothing like making your own grown-up version of hot chocolate with organic milk and organic cocoa powder. The following recipe from the Dairy Farmers of Washington is all the richer with the addition of an organic egg.
Holiday Eggnog Hot Chocolate
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and well-mixed.
- Transfer mixture to a double boiler.
- Without boiling, heat until steaming hot, stirring constantly.
Note: If you find this to be too bitter for your taste, add the organic sweetener of your choice.
The Super-Easy Version
- For a simpler version, combine equal parts of organic chocolate milk and organic eggnog.
- Heat on the stove until steaming hot. Do not boil.