The Fourth of July may call for a touch of red, white and blue, but mango mania has inspired me to go orange this year.
Here’s a twist on the classic caprese salad, with juicy mango slices replacing the traditional tomatoes. Layer them with fresh mozzarella slices, and top with olive oil, seasonings and fresh basil.
Prep time is only 15 minutes, and all of the ingredients should be readily available at your local natural and organic food store. Pair this salad with a nice Chardonnay.
Mango Caprese Salad
Makes 8 to 10 appetizers
- 3 large, ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh basil
- Crusty toasted baguette slices
Place mango slices on platter, alternating with mozzarella slices. Drizzle with lemon juice and oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with basil and serve with baguette slices.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Mango Board and Mirassou Winery