Here’s a fresh take on a traditional favorite. Instead of deep-fried potato skins, portabella mushrooms are topped with chives, low-fat cheese and turkey bacon.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Makes 4 servings
4 portabella mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices turkey bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Brush mushroom caps and edges with oil. Sprinkle stem-side with salt and pepper and place, rounded side down, on baking sheet.
- Divide cheese among mushroom caps and bake 10 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and edges begin to brown.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and sprinkle bacon, tomato and chives over mushrooms. Return baking sheet to oven and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are hot.
- If desired, cut into wedges and serve with toothpicks.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Mushroom Council