Here’s a recipe that’s both nutritious and delicious, and you can prepare it for your Mother’s Day feast even if you’re not an experienced cook. All of the ingredients are available at your local organic and natural food store.
Enrico Colavita, a fourth-generation olive oil producer, recommends extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings, steak rubs and marinades because of its superb flavor and aroma. It is produced from freshly harvested olives pressed without the use of chemicals or heat. Straight from the bottle, or combined with coarse salt, crushed peppercorns or fresh herbs, it also makes a superb dipping oil for bread.
Baby Greens with Shallot, Orange & Red Wine Dressing
Total preparation and cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups mixed baby salad greens
- Combine wine, orange juice, shallot, orange peel, salt and pepper in large bowl; gradually whisk in olive oil until blended.
- Add salad greens to bowl; toss to coat evenly.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Colavita Olive Oil and Sutter Home Winery