For me, cooking is most enjoyable on the weekend, when I don’t have to worry about writing deadlines or an appointment-packed schedule.
Here’s a perfect summer weekend recipe, featuring fresh ingredients available at your local natural and organic food store.
Chicken, Strawberry & Fennel Salad, dressed with a walnut-balsamic vinaigrette, goes great with a glass of Chardonnay. And here’s a bit of trivia: Did you know children rate strawberries as their favorite fruit?
Chicken, Strawberry & Fennel Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 2½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic purée
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. grilled chicken breast strips
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 3 cups thoroughly cleaned, thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 3 cups shredded radicchio
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 1½ cups toasted walnut halves
- To make the vinaigrette: In a blender or food processor, purée oils, vinegar, garlic purée, salt and pepper until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken, strawberries, fennel, radicchio, basil and walnuts with the vinaigrette.
- To serve, mound equal amounts of salad on six plates.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the California Strawberry Commission