“Using ingredients associated with Mediterranean roots can compensate for reduced fat content and add flavor in the process,” says Dana Jacobi, author of the 12 Best Foods Cookbook and a contributor to the American Institute for Cancer Research’s New American Plate Cookbook: Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy Life. “These include puréed beans, garlic and yogurt. Chickpeas make a great hummus, and marrying puréed chickpeas with the eggplant used in baba ghanouj makes a perfect romance between these two popular East Mediterranean dishes.”
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Makes about 9 servings (2 tablespoons each)
1 medium (1 lb.) eggplant
4 large garlic cloves
3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the eggplant on a baking sheet. Place the garlic in a square of foil. Add 2–3 drops olive oil, rubbing to coat the garlic. Seal the packet, and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake the eggplant and garlic until very soft: 40–50 minutes for the garlic, 60–75 minutes for the eggplant. Turn the eggplant 3 to 4 times so it cooks evenly. Place the eggplant in a bowl; slit it open and set aside to cool and drain.
- Discarding the drained liquid and skin, place the roasted eggplant in a food processor. Squeeze the garlic from its skin and add, along with the chickpeas, tahini, yogurt, cumin, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Whirl until the hummus is smooth and fluffy. Season the hummus to taste with salt, pepper and additional lemon juice, if desired.
- For best flavor, refrigerate hummus 4 to 24 hours before serving. Serve accompanied by toasted whole-wheat pita bread and raw vegetables.
Per serving: 59 calories, 2 g total fat (less than 1 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 64 mg sodium
Recipe and photo courtesy of the American Institute for Cancer Research