Each year, the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission holds a Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest in conjunction with Louisiana Cookin’ magazine.
Last year’s winner in the Soup Category was Sally Sibthorpe of Shelby Township, MO, who wowed judges with her recipe for Ginger Thai Sweet Potato Bisque. This soup makes a zesty Thanksgiving starter, fusing Asian flavors with the natural goodness of America’s sweet potato crop.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store. Click here for more sweet potato recipes.
Ginger Thai Sweet Potato Bisque
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
4 cups cooked sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon red curry paste
4 tablespoons minced cilantro
4 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan or stockpot on medium setting. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until tender.
- Remove mixture to a food processor or blender. Add sweet potatoes and ginger, then puree until mixture is smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add coconut milk, chicken stock, salt, soy sauce, lime juice and curry paste. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, and garnish with shredded coconut and remaining cilantro.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission