Chill the wine and light the grill as summer slips away. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Season with style, coaxing great flavors from the freshest vegetables.
The following salad is sure to garner rave reviews at your Labor Day picnic or any family meal.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Grilled Fennel, Corn and Red Pepper Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 fresh fennel bulb
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 ears corn on cob
- 1½ cups cooked fusilli or rotini pasta
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Heat grill to medium direct heat.
- Remove stem and seeds from pepper; cut pepper and fennel lengthwise into halves.
- Blend 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, kosher salt, pepper and dry mustard in small bowl. Brush pepper, fennel, garlic and corn lightly with olive oil mixture.
- Place vegetables on grill. (If garlic is small enough to fall through grill, place on small piece of foil on grill. Remove garlic when soft.) Grill 7 to 9 minutes or until tender-crisp, turning once and brushing with remaining oil mixture. Remove from grill.
- Coarsely chop pepper and fennel; place in medium bowl.
- Finely chop or mash garlic; cut kernels from corn cobs.
- Combine garlic, corn, pepper, fennel and pasta; toss to mix. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining olive oil.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt