You can enjoy the flavor of authentic North African cuisine at home with this simple recipe.
To cleanse your palate, most meals begin with maza, an assortment of fresh and cooked salads. Try Orange and Radish Salad with Cinnamon Vinaigrette to whet appetites for what’s to come.
This salad uses a short list of ingredients, including juicy oranges, fresh radishes, baby spinach and almonds. Cinnamon is the star flavor of a light vinaigrette made of olive oil, lemon and orange juices, with a touch of cumin and red pepper, for a refreshing and memorable start to a perfect meal.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local organic and natural food store.
Orange and Radish Salad with Cinnamon Vinaigrette
Makes 6 (1 cup) servings
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 seedless oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh radishes, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 package (6 oz.) baby spinach or 6 cups torn spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- In a small bowl, blend vinaigrette ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients except almonds.
- Just before serving, toss half of vinaigrette with salad mixture. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve remaining vinaigrette at the table.
Book Pick of the Day:
Cooking the North African Way: Culturally Authentic Foods Including Low Fat and Vegetarian Recipes
Recipe courtesy of McCormick