Yesterday, we talked about the nutritional aspects of hummus, with a caveat about its potentially high fat content.
Here’s a hummus recipe that has only 2 grams of fat per serving (2 tablespoons). All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- With food processor on, drop parsley through chute; process until minced.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate 1–2 hours before serving. Serve with your favorite crackers.
Nutrition per serving (2 tablespoons): 63 calories, 2 g fat, 2 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 0 g cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 109 mcg folate
Recipe and photo courtesy of the American Bakers Association