If you’re hosting a New Year’s Eve party, or if you’ve been asked to bring a dish to a potluck affair, here’s an appetizer that’s full of flavor and easy to prepare.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Polenta Crostini with Sausage Topping
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 package (1 pound) prepared polenta
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook sausage in skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until nicely browned, stirring often.
- Remove sausage to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Drain fat and return sausage to skillet; add onions and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Heat until bubbling; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice polenta into 12 half-inch-thick rounds and place in single layer on baking sheet. Top each round with 1 tablespoon sausage mixture, sprinkle with cheese and bake 10 minutes or until hot. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe and photo courtesy of KC Masterpiece