It’s been a cabbage-centric month here at OrganicAuthority. We’ve extolled the health benefits of organic cabbage and sauerkraut, and we’ve featured an Oktoberfest recipe for Creamy Sauerkraut with Chives.
Today’s recipe adds an Indian twist to the healthful vegetable. Each serving of Spiced Cabbage contains only 50 calories and provides 110% of your daily vitamin C requirement, as well as 3 g fiber.
The dish can be served on its own, but it pairs nicely with rice. Prep time is only 10 minutes, and all of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Makes 4 servings
1/2 head of a medium cabbage
1 small onion (or half a medium one)
1 hot green chili pepper
3/4-inch piece fresh ginger
Olive oil spray
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons shredded coconut
- Shred the cabbage very finely, and chop into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onion, pepper and ginger.
- Spray frying pan with oil. Add the onion, ginger and pepper. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and turmeric. Fry at a high temperature for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat, and stir in coconut.
Recipe courtesy of the CDC. Photo courtesy of: