When you want to create a hearty meal, consider serving breakfast for dinner—a popular idea in my home.
These waffle sandwiches are a great back-to-school mealtime solution, made with fresh organic dairy products and pantry staples. They’re high in protein, and the waffles help meet your daily whole-grain requirements. (I like Nature’s Path Flax Plus organic waffles.)
All of the ingredients in today’s recipe should be readily available at your local natural and organic food store.
For another breakfast-for-dinner recipe, check out Southwestern Scramble.
Spicy Ham & Egg Waffle Sandwiches
Makes 2 servings
4 ounces sliced ham
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices cheddar cheese
1 cup picante sauce
- Warm ham slices in oven.
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat. Lower temperature to medium-low.
- Crack and scramble eggs in the skillet for about two minutes. Add shredded cheddar cheese to the eggs, and mix well.
- Toast waffles, according to package directions.
- To make the sandwich, top one waffle with half of the ham, egg and cheese mixture. Next, top with a slice of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup picante sauce. Top with another waffle and serve.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second sandwich.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Pace Salsa