With Christmas less than a week away, keep meals simple, fresh and organic. This salad is a delicious mélange of fruits and vegetables. Tune in tomorrow for its companion dish, Fruity Couscous Salad.
Spinach Salad with Pineapple Chile Vinaigrette
- 4 large slices watermelon, cut into triangles (16 pieces)
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 1 large orange, peeled and sliced into 8 thin rounds
- 1/2 fresh avocado, cut into 8 slices, cut again into cubes
- 16 large canned black ripe olives
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- Toward the back of each serving plate, arrange 4 watermelon triangles.
- Arrange 1½ cups of spinach in front of the watermelon. Top with 2 slices of orange, 1/4 of the avocado cubes, 4 olives and 1 tablespoon black beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, chili powder and mayonnaise.
- Drizzle salads with 2 tablespoons of dressing.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Produce for Better Health Foundation