Our end-of-the-week recipe features a hearty salad that will satisfy summer appetites and enliven fall menus.
Fall is distinctive for dishes that showcase fragrant fruits like pears. The freshest organic produce offers a sensory pleasure that enhances any dining experience.
Wilted Greens With Pinot Pears
Makes 4 servings
- 2 strips bacon
- 2 pears, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup Pinot Noir
- 6 cups chopped greens, such as red Swiss chard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add pears, honey and vinegar. Cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in wine. Cook until wine is absorbed by pears.
- Stir in chard. Cook and stir until just barely wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to plates, and top with crumbled bacon and blue cheese.
- Pair this salad with the same Pinot Noir used in the sauce.
Note: Because you are committed to organic living, OrganicAuthority.com recommends using certified organic foods, when available, in all recipes to maximize flavor and nutrition, while minimizing your risk of exposure to pesticides, chemicals and preservatives.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mirassou Winery