Seasonal homemade soup can be a great Mother’s Day gift. Pour the finished product into a large mason jar, adorn the top with a bow, and add a fresh baguette from your favorite organic bakery or market.
Zucchini Soup with Herbed Cream is a fresh way to savor squash. Whenever possible, purchase your organic vegetables and herbs from local farmers’ markets or community-supported agriculture (CSA) groups.
Prep time for today’s recipe is 15 minutes, and cook time is 30 minutes.
Double the batch, and you’ll have enough for gift-giving and your own family meals.
Zucchini Soup with Herbed Cream
Makes 6 servings (1¼ cups each)
1/2 cup sour cream
4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups organic vegetable broth
- Stir sour cream, 1 teaspoon basil and 1 teaspoon oregano in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- Add zucchini and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Add broth, remaining basil and remaining oregano. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place one-third of the zucchini mixture into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into large bowl.
- Repeat blending process twice more with remaining zucchini mixture. Return all puréed mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until hot.
- Divide soup among 6 serving bowls, and top with about 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture, using a spoon to swirl cream in a decorative pattern on soup surface.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Swanson