Patsy’s Italian Restaurant has been a fixture in the New York City theater district since 1944, when it was founded by Pasquale “Patsy” Scognamillo. Since then, the restaurant has had only three chefs: the late Patsy himself, his son Joe and grandson Sal, who has manned the kitchen for the last 15 years.
Patsy’s has enjoyed a loyal following over the last half-century, attracting celebrities like Tom Hanks, Madonna, George Clooney, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs and Robert De Niro. In fact, it was Frank Sinatra’s favorite restaurant. (Family members still stop by when they’re in town.)
When I put out a call for organic Brussels sprouts recipes just before Thanksgiving, Sal Scognamillo offered to share the following with Organic Authority readers:
Brussels Sprouts Pasta
Makes 1 serving
3 cups Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons safflower oil
1 cup chopped leeks
1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pasta of your choice (one serving)
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts. Steam them in boiling water until just tender. Drain.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Sauté the leeks.
- Add the peppers and Brussels sprouts, stirring until just golden on the edges.
- Add the soy sauce and let stand, covered, while you cook the pasta.
- In a bowl, toss pasta with parsley and grated cheese.
- Add the cooked vegetables. Serve immediately, while hot.
Please check out other top chefs’ recipes for Brussels sprouts:
- Cavolini de Bruxelles Gratinati (Brussels Sprouts Baked with Cheese)
- Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Hazelnuts and Lemon-Garlic Sauce
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Shallots
- Plus: How to Select and Prepare Brussels Sprouts