The traditional Mediterranean diet demonstrates how natural and organic foods can improve your health.
“If you are going to cook with oil, doesn’t it make sense to cook with one that contains more omega-3?” asks Chef Nick Stellino, author of numerous cookbooks, including Dine In! and Nick Stellino’s Mediterranean Flavors.
The following guide, courtesy of the International Olive Oil Council, shows you how to substitute organic olive oil for butter (and margarine):
- 1 teaspoon butter = 3/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter = 2¼ teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter = 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter = 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter = 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup butter = 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup butter = 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup butter = 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups butter = 1½ cups olive oil
Tune in tomorrow for our Mediterranean-inspired recipe for Red Beet and Blood Orange Salad.
Photo courtesy of Pompeian