Americans consume 300 million sandwiches daily—roughly one per U.S. resident each day.
While we tend to think of the noble ’wich as lunch fare, Organic Sandwich Night is a great way for families to enjoy a nutritious dinner that requires minimal preparation.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend six 1-ounce servings of grain foods each day, half of which should come from whole grains—a goal many of us fail to meet. A dinnertime sandwich helps ensure you’re eating at least two of those servings.
Here are some Organic Sandwich Night tips, courtesy of The Grain Foods Foundation:
- Set up a sandwich bar in your kitchen or on your dinner table. Offer a variety of different whole-grain breads, meat/soy options, cheeses and vegetables. Let kids customize their own creations.
- Have a different family member take charge of Organic Sandwich Night each week. This allows the whole family to become involved in making healthful organic choices.
- Add some sizzle with a panini press—ideal for family members who like their sandwiches warm and toasty.
- Create theme nights, such as vegetarian or ethnic cuisine, to spark creativity.
- Crunchy Elvis Sandwich
- Cheesy Apple Cinnamon Raisin Grill
- Rustic Grilled Cheese
- Cashew Turkey Croissants
- Egg and Vegetable Salad Sandwich
- Salmon Burgers with Dill Sauce (right)
- Spicy Ham & Egg Waffle Sandwiches