If you love shopping for cheese at your local natural and organic food store, you’ll have a blast watching The Cheese Nun, a documentary that first aired on PBS and is now available on DVD.
The film profiles Sister Noella Marcellino, a Benedictine nun who years ago began to study the microbes that ripened the cheese made at her Connecticut abbey. She then traveled to remote villages in France to learn about artisan cheese-making, becoming a champion of the biodiversity of the organisms that flavor cheese.
The DVD is divided into chapters on how to make cheese, how cheeses ripen, keeping the craft of artisan cheese-making alive and research in French laboratories, among other topics. Along the way, Sister Noella is both humorous and studious, which guarantees an interesting 60-minute “homage to fromage.”
While I’m on the subject, check out Organic Authority Publisher Laura Klein’s recipe for Homemade Organic Ricotta Cheese Served with Black Truffle Oil. You’ll also enjoy our recipes for:
- Fresh Herbed Goat Cheese
- Roasted Organic Golden and Red Beet Salad with Fresh Herb Goat Cheese
- Turkish Stuffed Eggplant
- Gorgonzola Bruschetta
- Marjoram-Scented Pears with Gorgonzola
- Organic Crudités with Spinach Feta Cheese Dip
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Pasta
- Brussels Sprouts Baked with Cheese
- Potato, Leek and Blue Cheese Bake with a Nutty Topping
- Savory Italian-Style Cheese Ball with Asiago and Fontina