Today’s recipe pairs them with organic eggs for a hearty breakfast burrito that would also make a delicious lunch or dinner entree.
This dish is prepared in the microwave oven for grab-and-go convenience, and individual wraps can be stored in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make a batch on a Sunday, and you’ll have several inexpensive lunches to bring to work.
Prep time is only 3 minutes, cook time is only 2 minutes, and all of the ingredients should be available at a well-stocked natural and organic food store.
Organic Mushroom & Egg Wrap
Makes 1 serving
1/4 cup organic Potatoes O’Brien, frozen (i.e., Whole Foods Market brand)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
1 8-inch flour tortilla
2 tablespoons prepared salsa
- Place Potatoes O’Brien in a 2-cup microwavable measuring cup. Loosely cover, and microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring once and adding a pinch of salt at the 30-second mark.
- Add mushrooms, and microwave on high for another minute, stirring at the 30-second mark.
- Drain off excess liquid before stirring in the egg, and then cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, and stir in cheese and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a warmed tortilla, and top with salsa. Fold the bottom of the wrap over the eggs, and then roll up the sides.
- Wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate until ready to eat. When ready to serve, place wrap in microwave on high for 45–60 seconds, just until heated through. Grab it and go!
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Mushroom Council