School is back in session, which means parents are trying to find new ways to tempt their children’s taste buds.
Peanut butter and jelly?
Definitely nutritious—but it gets pretty boring when you find it in your lunchbox three times a week.
The experts at Ebony magazine offer a great tip for brown-bagging it in the September issue: Instead of cruising for the usual suspects in the condiment aisle at your local natural and organic food store, raise the bar with some high-flavor substitutes. Image the following on your no-longer-average organic sandwich:
- Olive tapenade
- Herb mustard
- Pepper jelly
- Vidalia onion relish
- Lemon or garlic mayonnaise
I’d like to recommend some personal favorites:
- OrganicAuthority Publisher Laura Klein’s recipe for Fresh Organic Pesto
- Annie’s Natural Organic Horseradish Mustard
- Spectrum Organic Wasabi Mayonnaise
- San Mateo’s Organic Red Onion Preserve
- La Favorita Italian Crema di Olive Verdi (green olive cream spread/tapenade)