As I noted last Friday, March is National Peanut Month, which we marked with a recipe for Peanut Butter Salad Dressing. Our end-of-the week recipe is a savory Cream of Peanut Soup.
All of the ingredients should be readily available at your local natural and organic food store.
Cream of Peanut Soup
Makes 8 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 12½-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 12½-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Cook onion, carrot and celery in butter in medium saucepan, over medium heat, until tender.
- Stir in flour; mix well.
- Add chicken broth and vegetable broth; stir until thickened.
- Stir peanut butter into soup; mix until well blended.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Stir in half-and-half. Season to taste.
Book Pick of the Day: Vegetarian Soup Cuisine: 125 Soups and Stews from Around the World
Recipe and photo courtesy of Smucker’s Natural Peanut ButterRead More:Cream of Peanut Soup