March 7th, 2013 - Jill Ettinger
According to analysis conducted by the Environmental Working Group on U.S. water quality tests conducted in 2011, toxic chemicals called trihalomethanes were found to be contaminating virtually all of the tap water samples tested.
Read More:Toxic Drinking Water in 43 States, Affecting 100 Million Americans
December 6th, 2012 - Jill Ettinger
The recent rise in food allergies may have a cause, according to new research from the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: pesticides common in tap water.
Read More:Food Allergies Connected to Pesticides Leaching into Water Supplies
June 12th, 2012 - Jill Ettinger
A new study published in the journal PLoS ONE suggests that America’s drinking water contaminated with trace amounts of psychiatric medicines may be linked to the rising rates of autism.
Read More:New Link to Autism: Antidepressant-Laced Drinking Water
July 24th, 2010 - Barbara Feiner
Fruit-flavored waters are a refreshing change of pace, especially during the hot summer months.
But there are several disadvantages to buying premade brands:
- Beverages may not be organic.
- Products are sold in glass jars or plastic bottles, which need to be recycled.
- Drinks may contain a fruit essence, but no real fruit. Some will contain sweeteners, which lead to consumption of empty calories.
- Ounce per ounce, they’re usually overpriced.
You can overcome these problems by creating your own fruit-infused water, and the Takeya Fruit Infusion Jug makes the job a snap. It’s glam enough for formal entertaining, yet practical enough for everyday use.
The 66-oz. airtight pitcher is made with Takeya’s proprietary AcraGlass, an FDA-approved, nontoxic, BPA-free acrylic that’s lightweight, stain- and odor-resistant, and dishwasher-safe.
Simply add your favorite water and organic fruit, whose flavors will meld naturally. When you’re ready to pour beverages, a built-in screen prevents pieces of fruit from dropping into glasses or mugs.
When you’ve finished serving and want to store leftovers, pop the pitcher in the refrigerator door or lay it on its side on a fridge shelf.
Need a birthday or bridal gift? The aesthetically pleasing pitcher’s retail price is $27.50, and you may qualify for free shipping on Amazon.com.
Read More:Infuse Your Drinking Water with Organic Fruit
June 28th, 2010 - Barbara Feiner
Ever try to light your tap water on fire?
Josh Fox has witnessed the phenomenon firsthand (see photo, above).
The filmmaker chronicles the largest natural gas drilling boom in U.S. history in his documentary GasLand—and the environmental ramifications aren’t pretty. The film premiered on HBO last week and will air through 2012. (Click here to view the trailer.)
The film’s genesis was Fox’s discovery that natural gas drilling was about to start in the Catskills/Poconos region of New York and Pennsylvania, where he lives. He was offered $100,000 to sign over drilling rights to his land.
Fox traveled to 24 states to expose how Dick Cheney’s pals at Halliburton developed a new drilling system called “fracking” (hydraulic fracturing), which may permanently contaminate the country’s water supply and worsen air pollution.
Chronically ill residents in drilling areas shared common symptoms and discovered that an urban legend held true: They could light fires straight from the faucet.
Drilling-related pools of toxic waste were also killing cattle and vegetation. Oil-well blowouts and gas explosions regularly occurred, only to be covered up by officials.
Not an HBO subscriber? A 2010 Sundance Film Festival award winner, GasLand will be available on DVD in December.
Photo courtesy of International WOW Company
Read More:HBO Documentary Exposes Natural Gas in Water Supply
January 12th, 2009 - Gerald "Gerry" Pugliese
Last month, a 40-acre pond of coal ash from a local coal plant, containing dangerous heavy metals, like arsenic, lead, mercury and selenium, flooded a valley in eastern Tennessee. A retention wall broke.
And now, environmental experts worry drinking water around the area is unsafe. Test samples have revealed higher than acceptable levels of toxins, specifically arsenic.
But here’s the kicker. A new report claims hundreds of coal ash dumps in the United States, which can reach up 1,500 acres in size, lack federal regulation and proper monitoring.
Officials claim this could have prevented the spill in Tennessee.
Some believe the absence of regulation is due to the Environmental Protection Agency’s inaction on the issue, almost doing something in 2000, but buckling after the coal industry complained tighter controls would cost $5 billion a year.
Right now, each state handles the overseeing of coal waste, but environmental experts urge this is not enough. The EPA reported 63 sites in 26 states have water contaminated by coal dumps.
The ecological and health impacts of coal ash toxins are severe. In wildlife, it can cause tadpoles to be born without teeth and fish with spinal deformities and heightens the risk of cancer, birth defects and other health problems in humans.
Via The New York Times.
Read More:U.S. Coal Ash Dumps, Unregulated and Unmonitored
November 28th, 2008 - Gerald "Gerry" Pugliese
That’s the WaterMill, by Element Four, and it’s an awesome invention! It’s a home appliance that extracts moisture from the air and turns it into clean water.
It’s only about the size of a large golf ball cut in half, but can produce up to 12 liters of water a day and requires just 3 light bulbs worth of energy. Some are even solar powered!
And, it utilizes smart-technology that filters out impurities, automatically adjusts to dryer climates and maximizes water production. Not too shabby.
The WaterMill could be a lifesaver for the 1 billion people without access to clean drinking water.
Read More:Water from Air, Poof!