Chocolate may be the ultimate indulgence, so pamper your friends and family this holiday season with the sweetest gift of all.
Our end-of-the-week recipe comes from Green & Black’s, producers of a full range of organic chocolate bars, gift boxes, hot chocolates, cocoa and baking bars made with 100% organic ingredients.
Delicious as a sauce with ice cream or on toast at breakfast, this Pear and Chocolate Spread makes a wonderful hostess gift. Tie a colorful ribbon around the jar for a sophisticated presentation.
Green & Black’s funds a large fair-trade project in Belize. This means the company pays Mayan farmers a fair and sustainable price for their organic cocoa, allowing them to improve the quality of life for their families and communities.
Pear and Chocolate Spread
Makes: 1¾ lbs.
Preparation time: 20 minutes. Chilling time: overnight.
- 3 lbs. Bartlett pears, ripe but firm
- 3½ cups granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 9 oz. Green & Black’s Organic 72% Bittersweet Baking Bar, chopped
- 2 to 3 1½-cup canning jars and waxed paper circles
- Peel and quarter pears; remove cores. In large, heavy saucepan, mix sugar with orange and lemon juices. Add pears and mix together carefully.
- Heat gently until mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat and pour into bowl. Add chocolate and mix until chocolate has melted. Cover bowl and let cool before placing in fridge overnight.
- Pour mixture back into heavy saucepan, bring to a boil and let bubble 40 minutes to 1 hour. Mixture is done when small amount dropped onto cold plate becomes thick and gelatinous.
- While mixture is bubbling, wash canning jars, lids and seals in warm, soapy water, rinsing thoroughly. Sterilize jars by immersing fully in boiling water 10 minutes or by washing them in dishwasher.
- Spoon pear and chocolate spread into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim. Cover with circle of waxed paper and secure lid immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Green & Black’s OrganicRead More:Pear and Chocolate Spread