July 2nd, 2009 - Barbara Feiner
Watermelons are a classic summer favorite. Sweet and refreshing, they perk up picnics and bring the cool to any cookout.
While some people like to thump a watermelon and listen for a certain sound, here’s the best way to choose the perfect fruit:
- Look for a round, oval or oblong-shaped watermelon that feels heavy for its size; this indicates it’s juicy and fresh.
- Inspect the watermelon’s exterior. Look for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that’s free of bruises, cuts or dents.
- Turn it over. The underside of a watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
Don’t forget to wash all fruits and vegetables, including watermelon, in fresh running water. Dry with a clean paper towel before slicing and serving.
FYI: On average, a 5-pound watermelon will yield 11 cups of edible fruit.
Tune in tomorrow for our Fourth of July recipe: a party-ready Americana Basket.
Photo courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board
Read More:Keep Cool with Organic Watermelons
June 2nd, 2006 - Barbara Feiner
OK, it’s officially hot and humid!
I’m always on the lookout for beat-the-heat beverage recipes that incorporate fresh fruit. Here’s a lemonade that features ingredients you can readily find at your local organic food store. It combines two summertime favorites: watermelon and kiwi.
Watermelon Lemonade With Kiwifruit Splash
Makes six 1-cup servings
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into fourths
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 12-oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
- 2 cups water
- Place kiwifruit and sugar in blender; cover and blend on medium just until smooth. Pour into another container; freeze 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Place watermelon in blender; cover and blend on medium until smooth. Place frozen lemonade concentrate and water in large pitcher. Add watermelon mixture; mix well.
- Pour watermelon lemonade into glasses. Spoon a dollop of frozen kiwifruit mixture on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Suddenly Salad
Read More:Watermelon Lemonade