There is nothing like a cool, refreshing smoothie packed with fresh seasonal fruits. Strawberries and watermelon are still in season, and it’s time to take advantage of it with this watermelon and strawberry smoothie recipe.
Watermelons are 92 percent water! But that doesn’t mean the remaining 8 percent is rendered pointless. In fact, it provides a healthy dose of vitamins A, B6, and C as well as lycopene, antioxidants, and amino acids. Watermelon provides the body with citrulline, an amino acid that is metabolized to arginine, which can be essential for humans. Arginine plays a role in cardiovascular and immune functions.
Strawberries are relatively low in calories compared to other fruits, such as sugar-packed mango, pineapple, and figs. Strawberries are packed with potent antioxidant power and can help to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as stint aging. They also have anti-inflammatory qualities and are anti-cancerous.
This watermelon and strawberry smoothie also features ginger, chia seeds, and lime, which lend to its smooth, filling texture and tart-but-sweet taste. Ginger boosts immunity and fights inflammation. Chia seeds are chock-full of amino acids and promote proper digestion. Lime juice adds an extra oomph and lightness to the smoothie, enlivening your spirit and making mornings less of a drag.
With all these health benefits, it’s about time you incorporated a healthy morning smoothie into your daily routine. It’s just as delicious as it is beneficial. Enjoy!
Watermelon and Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- 1.5 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 ripe banana, peeled, chopped and frozen
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- Smidge of fresh ginger, peeled
Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust the add-ins according to your taste preferences. Serve with a garnish of fresh mint leaves.
Related on Organic Authority
Watermelon Strawberry Ginger Smoothie from Shutterstock