With grilling season upon us you’re likely to have a few spare pieces of chicken lying at the back of your fridge. This lean and flavorful protein is versatile because it’s delicious cold. Grilled chicken can be added to a salad for a complete meal in minutes, but it transforms into something entirely different and delicious in this curry chicken salad sandwich recipe.
The premise is very simple: make a curry dressing, toss with chicken, grapes and scallions. You can add chopped almonds or cashews if you like, but I think it’s best without the crunch served on hearty cranberry walnut bread.
Traditionally this salad is made with mayonnaise as the base for the curry dressing but Greek yogurt is much better for you and I find adds an irresistible tanginess.
If you don’t have grilled chicken on hand, use this quick and easy method for poaching chicken breasts which will also be delicious in this salad.
Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Poached Chicken
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Chicken Salad
- 3 large grilled or poached chicken breast (cooked and chilled)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (full fat)
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 cup arugula
- 8 slices hearty cranberry walnut bread
- Directions for Poached Chicken
- Place the chicken and spices in a large pot with a lid. Add cold water until the chicken is submerged with and inch to spare. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the largest breast and slice it to ensure chicken is cooked through. Continue simmering for another 5 minutes if the center is still pink. Remove chicken to cutting board to cool and then chill in fridge for at least two hours.
- Directions for Salad
- Make the yogurt dressing by mixing the yogurt, salt, pepper, curry powder and turmeric together in a small bowl.
- Chop the chicken breasts into small 1/4 inch cubes and add to a large bowl with the scallions. Toss the chicken in the dressing and the grapes. Store in the fridge for at least an hour and ideally overnight.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a small handful of arugula on one side of the bread. Top with a large scoop of chicken salad, add the top slice, press down, slice in half and serve.
Related on Organic Authority
Photos by Ally-Jane