The day has had her way with you: the seemingly endless parade of rubbernecking, power tripping, inconsiderate and needy people to have crossed your path has left you feeling cold, stiff, negative and wound up like a toy soldier. Well, I’ve done the research personally, as have many before me, and nothing soothes the soul like a warm, nurturing bath. Pampering yourself with one of these homemade, DIY bath recipes will remind you; one very important person loves and cares for you, ultimately the only one who matters.
Start off by setting the mood. Select the most plush towel or robe you have to swathe in post bathe and place it beside the tub. Light a few candles and pour yourself a glass of your beloved beverage of choice. I sometimes set a scoop of ice cream by the tub, waiting for me when I settle in, creamy and in mid-melt. Having a book within arm’s reach isn’t a bad idea in case you feel your mind won’t stop running and you need something tangible to sink your thoughts into (perhaps not the time for newspapers or horrific biographies but more like romance, self-help inspiration or a little dose of chick lit). You might also fill the bathroom with your favorite playlist as of late.
And finally, run the water at your desired temperature, choosing from one of these ridiculously simple tub-time recipes to lift the mood, soften the skin and relax the muscles.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
2. Lemon and rosemary bath salts, aromatherapy your way back into an energized and invigorated body.
- 1/4 cup sea or himalayan salt
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
3. Chocolate Soy Milk Bubble Bath, good for the soul and the skin
- 1/2 cup unscented bubble bath
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 ounces grated or powdered organic dark chocolate