Written by Andrea Manitsas
The awesomeness of avocados cannot be overstated. Truly. What's not so awesome - however - is the toll that these winter months can take on our most useful of body parts - the hands. Dry, cracked, scaly and painful, our paws wear the shock of this hot-cold banter. And while avocados are not in season right now (and the ones you see around town likely came from faraway lands), avocado oil is available all year round and easily obtainable at health food stores. Throw together this DIY concoction of deliciously natural and organic ingredients for the most slather-worthy cream your hands could ever crave.
What You'll Need:
- 2 oz. of beeswax
- 3/4 cups of sweet almond oil
- 1/4 cup of avocado oil
- Double boiler
- 4 400 IU Vitamin E capsules
- Essential oil of your choosing (lavender, lemongrass and orange are all great options...)
- Small jars with tight fitting lids
What to do:
- Combine your beeswax, almond oil and avocado oil in the top of a double boiler, heating them just until the wax melts and being careful not to overheat and destroy the healing properties of the oils.
- Put one cup of warm water into your blender, placing the lid on without the centerpiece in. Turn it on low.
- Pour the warm wax and oil mixture slowly into the blender as it mixes. Also, squeeze the oil from four vitamin E capsules into the mix.
- Add 10 drops of essential oil to your hand cream while the blender is still running. Allow the blender to churn until the hand cream has cooled and thickened into an even cream.
- Turn off the blender and carefully spoon your finished avocado hand cream into small glass jars with tight fitting lids. Allow the cream to cool completely before sealing. Store your natural hand cream in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator.
Enjoy Doing It Yourself!
image: Nate Steiner