With the weather quickly turning from pleasant to steamy, I’m always looking for natural beauty products that are moisturizing and refreshing. And, hey, if I can make the beauty aid on my own, even better! DIY is the way to go because I love (love, love) knowing what I’m putting on my bod.
Well, the following all-natural, lavender lip balm recipe has all of the above benefits and then some. The lip balm has a sweet, relaxing herbal smell, and is moisturizing. Also: lavender, in general, has some amazing health benefits of its own:
- Lavender can relax the body, and help ward off restlessness and moodiness.
- Lavender oil can be used topically for fungal infections, burns, wounds, eczema, and acne.
- Lavender makes a lovely massage or bath oil, and can aid circulatory disorders, and rheumatic ailments.
1 teaspoon shea butter
1 teaspoon cocoa butter
1 teaspoon avocado oil (you can also use almond oil)
1/2 teaspoon grated beeswax
2 to 3 drops lavender essential oil
*Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
Mix together everything, except for the lavender essential oil. Gently heat mixture until melted. Heat in the microwave or on the stove top. Use the low heat setting. Stir the mixture well and add the lavender essential oil. Pour the mixture into a small, clean container. Allow the mixture to cool completely until it’s solid. Once the balm has cooled, rub it into your lips, and enjoy!
Have a bit of lavender oil left over? Use it to make the following, lavender-infused beauty products:
- Use in homemade deodorant.
- Keep the bottle of essential oil in your purse and use instead of a triclosan hand sanitizer.
- Make a salt bath with lavender.
- Add a few drops of lavender to your facial cleanser and moisturizer to tone, and purify skin.
Image: Poppy Thomas-Hill