You Are What You Eat
Healthy skin begins with what you put in your body, and eating natural and organic food gives you a dermatological edge. You need to treat your skin from the inside out. Here are some organic skin care solutions for you:
- Eat a healthful diet of organic food. This includes at least five servings of organic fruits and vegetables each day.
- Skin needs to be properly hydrated, so drink plenty of water -- particularly when the weather is warm and you perspire more. Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water per day.
- Minimize your consumption of caffeinated beverages.
- Limit alcohol intake.
Organic living also contributes to great skin:
- Get regular exercise.
- Be sure to get enough sleep each night.
- Practice meditation, yoga or another discipline to reduce stress. If you continue to struggle with life's stressors, see your physician or a trained counselor.
- Always wear sunscreen to prevent sunburns and skin cancer.
Finding the Right Organic Product
Organic skin care has come a long way over the last decade, with a wide array of products for every skin type: dry, normal or oily. It's important to determine your skin type before going shopping:
- Normal skin has a smooth texture, with an even tone. Pores are virtually invisible, and you don't suffer breakouts. Even if your skin is normal, it requires basic maintenance.
- Dry skin may be scaly, flaky or red. Skin is dehydrated because oil glands fail to produce enough sebum. You may be at the age when fine lines and wrinkles begin to appear. Dry skin requires regular hydration and moisturizing.
- With oily skin, you're always battling shine and breakouts -- particularly in the "T-Zone" of your face (forehead, nose and chin). Pores become clogged, making them noticeably larger.
You may have oily facial skin, but dry arms and legs, so be sure to shop for the right organic skin care products to treat specific areas. Some of the best nontoxic, chemical-free organic brands include:
- Aubrey Organics is a 100% Natural Hair, Skin & Body Care Company. No chemical additives, no synthetic colors, no preservatives or fragrances. All products are preserved with citrus seed extract and vitamins A, C & E. Handcrafted in small batches. Never tested on animals.
- Éminence Organic Skin Care, with a full line of body lotions, creams and moisturizers, masques, serums, cleansers, body washes, scrubs and sunscreens. Available for summer is the Pearfect Skin line, which contains pears and apples. The company counts actress Alicia Silverstone as a satisfied customer.
- Emerita, a company that specializes in products for women over 40. The line includes hydrating lotions, eye cream and face cream.
- Lavera, which offers full men's, women's and children's lines, including products for both face and body.
- Avalon Organics, a manufacturer of skin care, hair care, bath and body, and baby products. New this year is the Baby Avalon Organics line, which includes Flushable Biodegradable Baby Wipes and Soothing Zinc Diaper Balm.
Solutions As Close As Your Kitchen
Organic Authority supports "kitchen sink" skin care, using everyday organic foods to nourish your skin. We've published a series of articles on do-it-yourself skin care. Click on the links below to find the perfect DIY organic skin care solution:
And here's a new recipe to add to your collection:
Orange Cornmeal Exfoliating Body Scrub
Makes 1 application
1/3 cup organic cornmeal Organic milk or plain yogurt 2 drops organic orange essential oil
- Place the cornmeal in a small bowl.
- Add just enough milk or yogurt to form a paste.
- Add the orange essential oil and mix thoroughly.
- Apply scrub to your body (not the face) when you're in the shower to exfoliate skin. Massage into skin in circular motions, paying extra attention to dry areas like elbows, knees and feet.
- Rinse thoroughly.
by Reenita Malhotra Hora
Discover Natural Beauty and Well-Being with the Traditions Of Ayurveda