|No-Fuss, No-Cook Summer Oatmeal|
|Written by Kimberley Stakal|
We're continuing our summer no-cook recipe collection this week with a breakfast idea to get your motor going: Overnight Summer Oatmeal. This take on the traditional muesli recipe is packed with everything your body needs in the morning: whole grains, nuts, fruits and a bit of spice. And best of all, there is zero cooking involved, and you do zero prep in the morning. No-cook, no-fuss, no-brainer.
The German-invented muesli is an oat-based cereal mixture that includes nuts and fruits. The genius of the recipe is that there is no cooking involved, just soaking. Originally prepared with orange juice, the dish is soaked for a few hours and up to overnight. The process softens the oats, helps to pre-digest the nuts and grains, and makes it creamy without any heat.
Whatever you want to call it, overnight oatmeal or muesli, the stuff is packed with nutrients. Check out just a highlight of the health benefits:
• Oats lower LDL cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and colon cancer
• Nuts provide omega-3 fatty acids, improve brain and nervous system function, and reduce cancers
• The meal is low in saturated fats
• The meal is loaded with fiber from the oats, nuts and fresh fruit
• The meal regulates glycemic index and controls diabetes and weight management
Plus, as you'll see, it's utterly simple to prepare. Combine everything, stir, the end. You have to love those recipes. Tossed in the fridge at night, your morning breakfast is done before you even wake up. Enjoy it at the kitchen table or prepare it in ready-to-go meal containers so you can grab it on the way out the door. Easy breezy.
Overnight Summer Oatmeal
Makes about 4 servings.
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup milk of choice (may substitute orange juice)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup fresh seasonal fruits (apples, berries, or tropical fruits)
1/3 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit
¼ cup chopped nuts of choice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
Pinch sea salt
1) Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Cover and chill overnight.