|Spicy Spinach Curry Lettuce Wraps|
|Written by Jessica Reeder|
These lettuce wraps make a lightweight, cool, fun and easy alternative to hors d'oeuvres or even traditional sandwiches. It can get messy, but the creamy, curried spinach flavor more than makes up for any inconvenience. Grab a napkin and get ready for a finger-lickin' lunch!
This recipe is adapted from an original creation by the Sandwich Snobs.
Wrap & Toppings
Spinach Salad Filling
1. If you're using fresh spinach: Place the spinach in a bowl, pour the oil and lemon juice over it, sprinkle with salt and massage the leaves with your hands until they soften.
2. In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the spinach; oil and vinegar; onion, garlic and curry powders; cheese and watercress. Blend until creamy.
3. Add salt, pepper and curry powder until the spice level suits your tastebuds. If the mixture is too dry, add more oil or cheese (I never said this was healthy!).
4. Place one lettuce leaf on a plate and scoop a spoonful of spinach salad onto it. Add avocado, tomato and onion, and grilled chicken if you choose.
5. Roll the lettuce leaf and dust the top with chili powder.
To serve these as hors d'oeuvres, try wrapping each one in a few leaves of lemongrass to keep them rolled up tight.
Want more? Try this classic lettuce wrap recipe.
Photo: the Sandwich Snobs.