Let the healthy baking begin with these delicious gluten-free chickpea blondies made with cashew butter, dark chocolate chunks, and yes – chickpeas.
Chickpea Blondies Ingredients
Baking with legumes, like black beans and chickpeas, is an easy way to add fiber, moisture, and protein to baked goods, without compromising on flavor. Because chickpeas have a neutral taste, they can easily be snuck into brownies, cakes, and even cookies for a boost of nutrition.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are rich in protein, manganese, folate, copper, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. Because of their high fiber content, chickpeas are also noted to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent spikes of insulin. Fiber is essential for healthy digestion, feeding gut bacteria, and managing weight.
Chickpeas are blended with creamy cashew butter and a liquid sweetener of choice, such as maple syrup or honey. Cashew butter is a delicious source of vitamins E, K, and B6, copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and selenium. Cashews are rich in both lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants which support eye health, too.
These chickpea blondies are made extra delicious with the addition of dark chocolate chunks and flakes of sea salt. Look for a dark chocolate bar at least 70 percent cacao or higher, and chop it up using a sharp knife. Alternatively, dark chocolate chips are great in a pinch.
These flourless salted cashew butter chickpea blondies are a delicious way to honor your sweet tooth.
- 1 ¾ cup cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz can)
- ½ cup creamy cashew butter
- ⅓ honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8x8-baking tray with coconut oil or avocado oil.
- To a food processor or high-speed blender, add all ingredients except for chocolate chunks and flaky sea salt.
- Process or blend on high until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in dark chocolate chunks and process for a few seconds more to combine.
- Pour batter into greased baking tin.
- Bake blondies for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
*For the cashew butter, make sure the only ingredient is cashews, no added oils or sugars. Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Related On Organic Authority
This is Why You Need to Learn How to Cook Chickpeas (from Scratch!)
6-Ingredient Sweet Potato Brownies for Your Vegan, GF, or Paleo Squad
Vegan, Gluten-Free Curry Cauliflower Rice with Roasted Chickpeas
Photos by Kate Gavlick