Welcome to this week’s installment of From Our Friends, a weekly roundup where we highlight some of our favorite posts, published by our friends and partners around the web. This week’s edition includes a look at what will be on trend in fitness for 2014, great holiday gifts for yogis that won’t stretch your budget, a compilation of utilitarian and conscientious gifts for tough-to-buy-for guys, how to encourage your children in meditation, the best way to appear polished at dinner parties by using your utensils correctly, an easy way to contribute to our planet with your online purchases, and the top picks in handmade and vintage holiday items from Etsy. Enjoy!
1. What exercise crazes can you see putting the “it” in 2014 fitness? Well+GoodNYC gives us a glimpse at what will be big for health and wellness trends in the new year, including next-gen indoor cycling, a green-juice-a-day mentality, a stylish shift in yoga pants, and a growing awareness about (and distaste for) fake food, and more!
2. Need a gift for a yoga lover that you’ll both feel zen about? Blisstree‘s Gift Guide: Perfect Presents For Your Yoga Obsessed Friends compiled the most adorable and thoughtful items to delight even the most enlightened yogis in your life. Om.
3. Sweet but stoic dads, brothers, and even boyfriends and husbands can be tough to find holiday gifts for sometimes. Still struggling to figure out what to score for some of the men on your holiday shopping list, too? Luckily, MightyNest gathered up the greatest gifts for the gentlemen in your life, from aspiring chefs to guys-on-the-go, simple and useful pieces they’ll really appreciate (even if they have a hard time saying so!).
4. As children learn about their bodies through yoga postures, they can also learn about their minds through guided meditation. Mindful little ones can better control their thought patterns, emotions, and their overall well-being. YogiTimes discussed introducing enriching meditation and spirituality to kids.
5. Part of being an informed foodie is knowing proper table etiquette and use of your utensils! Just in time for the multitude of holiday meals, Experience Life Magazine shared a great video on how to polish up your silverware knowledge so you really shine at this season’s dinner parties.
6. Does Santa need to pick up some last-minute ho-ho-homemade and retro gifts? Etsy has set up their yearly holiday shop full of awesome handmade and vintage fashion gift ideas, decorations and of course some of the coolest styles for the Christmas season and EcoSalon featured their top picks.
You can follow Spencer on Twitter @SpencerKent
Image via TheArtofFoldingStuff.com