Welcome to this week’s installment of From Our Friends, our weekly roundup where we highlight some of our favorite posts from the past week and more from our friends and partners around the web. This week’s edition includes articles on how to make better habits, staying healthy during flue season, “seedy” toothpaste , a sustainable home in the city, memory-boosting herbs, gluten-free sugar plum scones, and eco-trend predictions for 2013. Enjoy these, and have a wonderful weekend!
1. Everyone has a few bad habits and most everyone wishes to break them. Breaking habits can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Habits can be changed through a series of steps that includes rewarding yourself! Read more about how to make and break habits on Experience Life!
2. Flu season is upon us! MightyNest offers several tips to help keep you healthy. Their list of flu season do’s and don’ts including washing hands often, staying active and a few others that you might not have thought of!
3. Ancient grains are now showing up in toothpaste! Oral care is getting “seedy” with chia seed and even quinoa! Read more about the oral health benefits of these seeds on Blisstree!
4. A sustainable oasis in the middle of a city? It may seem impossible, but with lots of hard work and dedication, Jonathan and Mary Jo Davis designed their own ecofriendly home in Venice, California! Check out YogiTimes for the story behind their sustainable residence.
5. Feeling forgetful? Let nature help! Check out The Organic Whey‘s list of 5 herbs that boost memory and brain function! These herbs balance your system and help you remember the ever-elusive last item on your to-do list!
6. Scones can be delicious treats, but they often contain way too much sugar and butter to be considered healthy. However, Organic Girly put a twist on the classic scone and baked up a delectable gluten-free treat! Head over to Organic Girly for a scrumptious gluten-free sugar plum scone recipe!
7. EcoSalon is back in action and they are making eco-trend predictions for the new year! Get ready for a year of eco/voluntarism and more DIY. Read more about what is in store for the eco-conscious in 2013 on EcoSalon!
You can follow Spencer on Twitter @SpencerKent
Image: Ron Almog