Happy New Year and welcome to the first installment of From Our Friends of 2013! If you’re new over here, this is our weekly roundup where we highlight some of our favorite posts from the past week and more from our friends and partners around the web. This week’s edition includes articles on making the right fitness investment in 2013, choosing BPA-free bowls for your kids, why you should be eating more flaxseed, a delicious gluten free banana raisin cookie recipe, and a very hoppy reason to visit Portland this year. Enjoy these, and have a wonderful weekend (and year)!
1. Want solid returns on your fitness investment in 2013? Get down to business — with a smart, strategic plan worthy of an MBA from our friends at Experience Life.
2. Bowls are the the most common dish used when it comes to feeding young children and often, the surface of bowls takes a beating from whisking forks and scooping spoons. And the LAST thing you want is toxic plastic being roughed up and released into food. So check out this great list of the best BPA-free bowls for kids from MightyNest!
3. Flaxseed has been called one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet. You’ve probably seen it in products including granola bars, cereals, and even tortilla chips. The tiny seed is packed with nutrients including: omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, and essential vitamins. Not only is it delicious, but many health experts suggest that it may also help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. Read all about it at The Organic Whey blog.
4. Gluten Free Banana Raisin Cookies. Need we say more? This delicious recipe from Yogi Times is easy and fun. Try it today!
5. Portland is becoming quite the travel destination these days. Before you make any 2013 plans, check out this great book on EcoSalon about their bustling craft brew scene. It may just make up your mind for you!
You can follow Spencer on Twitter @SpencerKent
Image: XeBii Mj