Welcome to this week’s installment of From Our Friends, our weekly roundup where we highlight some of our favorite posts from the past week and more from our friends and partners around the web. This week’s edition includes articles on running your first 5k (you can do it!), a better, safer way to repell mosquitos, exactly what 200 calories looks like accross a variety of foods, a perfect power protein shake recipe, the healthiest food on the planet and a roundup on all the big news that happened in America this week. Enjoy!
1. No matter what your current fitness level is, completing a 5K is both doable and fun. Here’s how to get yourself to the starting line — and across the finish, from Experience Life.
2. Looking to repell mosquitos without DEET? Of course you are, it’s a disgusting pesticide. Head over to MightyNest and find out everything you need to know.
3. Want to know what 200 calories looks like? This great video posted by Blisstree showcases how portion sizes are one of the most problematic issues in the American diet. People sometimes believe that eating “only” a small order of fries or a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich in the morning is the same as controlling portions, but it isn’t — those still pack tons of calories, fat and sodium. Click through to see it for yourself.
4. Feeling low on energy? This healthy and delicious smoothie protein recipe will give you a seriously yummy boost. Avocado, chia seeds, bananas, oh my! Get it now on Yogi Times.
5. The healthiest food on the planet is not a fruit. It isn’t a vegetable or ancient grain. The healthiest food, according to some experts, is a cyanobacteria called spirulina. Some refer to spirulina as an algae due to it’s green-blue color. To read more about spriulina and what makes it so good for you, visit The Organic Whey.
6. This week was FULL of big news. DOMA, Wendy Davis, voter’s rights, and vaginas. If you feel like you missed something, get the scoop on EcoSalon.
You can follow Spencer on Twitter @SpencerKent