Let’s face it. Guzzling down a soda, especially diet soda, does absolutely nothing beneficial for your body. The popular bubbly beverages contain a noxious concoction of carbonated water, caramel coloring, phosphoric acid, natural flavorings, high fructose corn syrup and caffeine. Not to mention studies have linked soda consumption to weight gain, obesity, diabetes and osteoporosis. Could you pass me the water?
I get the allure of the sugary carbonated drink. Sometimes your tongue craves something sweet and sparkling that just tastes good. But downing a soda is not the answer to your thirst quenching cravings. Instead try this natural soda alternative, delicious fizzy cucumber lemonade.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup lemon juice (or about 4 lemons)
- 6 cups soda water
1. Make a simple syrup to serve as the sweetener for the drink. Pour the water and sugar into a saucepan and heat the mixture on medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
2. Chop the cucumber into small pieces. Use a blender or food processor to transform the mixture into a puree. Push the mixture through a fine strainer into a pitcher.
3. Add the lemon juice, simple syrup and soda water to the mixture. Give it a good stir.
4. Serve over ice and garnish with a cucumber slice. Mmm delish. The cucumber refreshes and gives the drink a grown-up twist on classic lemonade. The lemon juice adds tang, while the soda water gives that effervescent quality we so crave from soda pop.
Switching out soda for this natural soda alternative is a healthy choice. Sure this drink contains sugar, but a little sugar is fine. And the fruit balances it out, right?
Wow your guests with this tasty beverage at your next party or keep a pitcher full on hand to stem those bad soda longings.