Written by Laura Klein
Serves 6-8 people
1 1/2 cups organic unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/2 cup ground blanched almonds
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh organic cranberries, coarsely chopped. Frozen cranberries will also work.
1 3/4 cups sifted unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup dried organic cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using an electric mixer beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add yolks and egg 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in almonds and vanilla.
- Mix cranberries and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine flour and spice in medium bowl.
- Stir fresh (or frozen) cranberries and dried cranberries into butter mixture. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Spoon batter into ungreased 7 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Smooth top with offset spatula. Bake until top of cake is golden and center of cake is firm, about 55 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- To serve, sift powdered sugar over top of cake. Remove rim from pan and transfer cake to platter.