Watch the Spicy Bolognese Recipe video
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 -3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 leek, white and pale green parts coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground, organic, grass-fed beef (We love our friends at Rocky Mountain Organic Meats)
2 1/2 pounds of fresh organic tomatoes chopped
¼ cup flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh marjoram
¼ cup milk
¼ red organic wine like a cabernet or syrah
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of dried red peppers or more to taste, or 1 jalepeno chopped fine (seeds and vein removed if desired)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
10oz Orecchiette pasta
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add leek and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Sauté, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add milk, wine, the tomatoes, parsley, marjoram and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens. This will take approximately ½ hour. Season with salt and pepper to adjust seasoning to taste. Stir in several tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Garnish with more cheese.
Note: Because you follow an organic lifestyle, OrganicAuthority.com recommends using certified organic ingredients, when available, in all recipes to maximize flavors and nutrition while minimizing your risk of exposure to pesticides, chemicals and preservatives.
2005 Giacomo Grimaldi Dolcetto d’Alba
The Grimaldi Family does not use insecticides or any other chemicals to control the grape growing process; their vineyards are treated entirely with organic fertilizers. Dolcetto d’Alba is a great alternative to everyday Chianti. The naturally high tannin and high acid levels in Dolcetto make it a perfect match for tomato based beef dishes. While more recent vintages of this wine have been released, Grimaldi wines have a track record for improved quality from year to year.
Check out these related Videos, Recipies and Articles
- Watch Laura make this great Spicy Bolognese Recipe video
- For another simple and fun pasta disch, try our Fondue Mac and Cheese recipe
- Finsh this meal off with Organic Tarte Tatin for dessert
Check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!