For Brussels Sprouts:
3 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup maple syrup, Grade B
½ tablespoon minced garlic
fresh cracked pepper
1 cup olive oil
½ lb large shallots (about 6), cut crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices separated intro rings (2 ½ cups)
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 1/4 lb shiitake mushrooms or mixed fresh wild mushrooms such as chanterelle and oyster, trimmed, quartered if large
¼ cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup water
Special Equipment: a deep-fat thermometer
Roast Brussels Sprouts:
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450 F.
- Line 2 shallow baking sheet with tin foil, and place in oven.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Remove hot pans from the oven (caution! they will be hot) and spread out Brussels Sprouts in 1 layer in shallow baking sheets. You should hear it a sizzle when the Brussels Sprouts touch the pan, then you know the pan is hot enough. Working with hot pans will help brown and crisp the Brussels sprout.
- Roast, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through roasting, until tender, browned, and a little crispy about, 25 to 35 minutes.
Fry Shallots while Brussels Sprouts Roast:
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until temperature reaches 250 F (see cooks' note below), then fry shallots in 3 batches, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per batch (watch closely, stir occasionally, shallots burn easily).
- Quickly transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, spreading in a single layer. (Shallots will crisp as they cool.). Pour off oil from skillet (wait to clean pan until completely cool).
Sauté Mushrooms and Assemble Dish:
- Heat 5 tablespoons butter in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add wine, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 2 minutes.
- Add water (1/2 cup) and remaining tablespoon butter and simmer, swirling skillet, until butter is melted.
- Transfer to a serving dish and stir in Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with some of shallots and serve with remaining shallots on the side.
- Shallots can be prepped 1 day ahead, cooled completely uncovered, and stored in an airtight container lined with paper towels kept at room temperature.
- Brussels sprouts can cooked up to 5 hours ahead and cooled completely uncovered, then stored, loosely covered, at room temperature. Reheat Brussels sprouts in a preheated 400 F oven and proceed with recipe.
- Mushrooms can be sautéed 1 hour ahead and kept in skillet, partially covered.
Check out these related Videos, Recipies and Articles
Check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!