A Piping-Hot Pot of Pumpkin
Take the chill out of the air by whipping up a pot of Organic Pumpkin Miso Soup. (Recipe follows at end of article.) If your pots have seen better days, buy a colorful new Le Creuset Soup Pot, available in blue, red, satin black, kiwi, dune and flame. Made from enameled cast iron, it holds 2 to 6 quarts of soup and is dishwasher-safe. France-based Le Creuset, which has manufactured fine cookware for 80 years, even offers a 101-year warranty.
Delight your kids by serving your organic soup in a "witch's cauldron" (translation: the Emile Henry White Lion's Head Soup Tureen with Lid). Available in white or cobalt blue, it's made of the finest pure clay and glazed to a glistening finish. Safe in the microwave, oven and dishwasher, it holds 4 quarts of soup. No lead or cadmium is used in the manufacturing process.
For more recipes -- from Pumpkin Pizza with Gorgonzola Cheese to Pumpkin Sage Risotto -- check out the just-released Pumpkin: A Super Food for All 12 Months of the Year.
The Halloween Table
Complement your natural food menu with organic flowers that will put everyone in just the right holiday mood. Order a dozen vibrant Orange Bliss Roses, known for their unique color and large heads. They're Veriflora-certified, which means growers follow agricultural practices that match your commitment to organic living.
Need help in carving your pumpkin? The Pumpkin Carving Book and Kit offers step-by-step patterns for pumpkin cats, bats, witches and ghouls, among other designs. The kit, which is perfect for beginners, also includes a carving tool, scoop, flashing pumpkin light and batteries. If you're an advanced artist, you'll enjoy Extreme Pumpkin Carving: 20 Amazing Designs from Frightful to Fabulous, which definitely lives up to its name. You'll find step-by-step instructions for carving incredibly detailed three-dimensional faces and landscapes.
After you've created your pumpkin centerpiece, insert Festive Luminaries for a supernatural glow. These hardy candles will hold up both indoors and outdoors -- even against 30-mph winds, rain and snow.
And before you tuck in the kids for the night, be sure to read them It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! - the companion book to the TV special that first aired in the '60s. You can also purchase your own copy of this cartoon classic on DVD. It's fun to watch any time of year.
Happy Halloween from OrganicAuthority.com!
Organic Pumpkin Miso Soup
Recipe courtesy of the Samovar Tea Lounge
Serves 2 to 4
2" square kombu seaweed stalk
2 cups spring water
1 6" to 10" organic parsnip, cut into ½" cubes
1 6" to 10" Japanese sweet potato, cut into ½" cubes
3 cups organic pumpkin puree (Canned is fine. Fresh is better, but more work. Recipe for Samovar's pumpkin puree follows at end of main recipe.)
4 heaping tablespoons organic red-bean miso
2 tablespoons fresh organic parsley
- Add 2" square piece of dried kombu seaweed to 2 cups of boiling spring water.
- Cube 1 medium parsnip and 1 medium Japanese sweet potato into ½" pieces. Add to boiling water, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of pumpkin puree to boiling mixture. Bring to a boil and then let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, make a miso concentrate by adding ¼ cup of the soup mixture to the red miso. Dissolve the miso thoroughly into the soup.
- Add miso concentrate to the soup and simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil the soup after you add the miso, or you will lessen its nutritional benefits.
- Garnish each bowl with a pinch of fresh parsley and enjoy!
To Make Organic Pumpkin Puree
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds.
- Remove stringy fibers by scraping the insides with a metal spoon.
- Place the two halves (cut side down) in a roasting pan with ½ cup water.
- Bake pumpkin until fork-tender (60 to 90 minutes; test after 1 hour).
- Scoop the soft flesh out of each pumpkin half.
- Add ¼ cup of warm water to the pumpkin. Mix by hand or puree in a food processor.