White flour may not be the best addition to your diet, as it is essentially stripped of nutrients, but it is actually a godsend around the house and in your beauty routine. White flour harnesses a host of uses, from hair removal to ripening avocados. Incorporate the following 10 unusual ways to use white flour in your life, and you have yourself a cheap and effective solution to common problems.
1. Dry Shampoo: Are you often in a hurry and have no time to wash your hair? Don’t leave your house with greasy locks. Simply pat your hands in flour and run your fingers through your hair. Brush until the flour is removed entirely. This process removes oil and dandruff.
2. Insect Repellent: Sprinkle a thick line of flour wherever you want to prevent insects from entering. The flour will prevent insects from crossing the barrier.
3. Steel Shiner: Use a rag and dry flour to buff stainless steel from your sink to household appliances.
4. Play Dough: Make a safe version of play dough for children by mixing 3 cups water with 1 cup water, 1/3 cup salt, 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and your choice of food coloring. Knead the mixture together with clean hands until it clumps and becomes uniform. Then begin playing!
5. Avocado Ripener: Avocados are often sold rock hard and require a few days of waiting before the are soft enough to eat. To hasten the process, place the avocado in a paper bag filled 2-inches high with flour. Once the avocado is in place, fill the bag with more flour until the avocado is covered completely. Roll down the edges of the bag so that it is sealed and keep it in a cool, dry place overnight.
6. Lid Loosener: Next time you open a lid that seals too tightly, dip the lid edges in flour. Next time you open the lid, it won’t stick.
7. Facial Hair Remover: Mix the white of one egg with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of flour until it is a paste. Spread on area of the face you’d like to remove hair, wait until it dries, and then peel it off delicately with your finger tips.
8. Grease Fire Stopper: House fires often begin due to a grease fire on the stove. To prevent a grease fire from spreading and becoming more serious, turn off the stove burner and pour flour on the fire. Doing so smothers the fire.
9. Playing Cards Cleaner: With repeated use, cards become oily from contact with hands. Toss a deck of cards into a paper bag with approximately ¼ cup of flour. Fold the open part of the bag so it is sealed and toss the bag around. The flour will soak in moisture from the surface of the cards, deeming them clean and free of grime.
10. Safe Paste: Boil 3 cups of water with ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir until the salt is dissolved and reduce the heat to medium. Add 3 tablespoons of flour, one by one, into the water, whisking after each tablespoon until smooth. The mixtures will thicken slightly. Remove from the stove and let sit at room temperature until cool. Pour into a spray bottle, shake, and spray surfaces to which you’d like to adhere things.
Photo Credit: Nerdessence